Tucan Tucan

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Television

In general the television programming and commercials are much more wholesome. Less slick and glitzy and much less sexual. My favorite commercial thus far has been for KFC. It went a little like this:

Image: a table of black women with a bucket of chicken in front of them.

Voice Over: The next time you women get together to talk about your husbands and children, do it around a piping hot bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken!!!

We haven't watch much tv since we left port elizabeth, but while in PE both Marcus and I were a little addicted to the Soapies on SABC {South African Broadcast Corporation}. Now, I don't watch American Soap Operas and I have never had much interest even in the prime time soaps, like Beverly Hills 90210 or Dallas; but the South African Soapies were pretty dang entertaining. Many of the commercials for cereal and pop tarts reminded me of the Saturday morning cartoons from the eighties.

I've heard mention of a thing called DSTV which I think is satellite television that gets international programming, but thus far we have only stayed a facilities that have regular SA programming, which is about four channels.

No comments: