Tucan Tucan

Monday, July 9, 2007

Are you two married!?!…

After the show I had an opportunity to talk to the playwright, director, and cast of the show. Marcus and I were invited to have dinner with them at a local restaurant called the Calabash. They were joining a party of artists that just so happened to be from the Market Theatre. Which was wonderfully kismet because I was very interested in meeting with the artistic director, Malcolm Purkey and head of the Laboratory, Vanessa Cooke. Fortunately for me they joined us for dinner as well.

I was seated at the end of a long table with the female lead in Reach, Aletta Bezuidenhout, who is an acclaimed South African actor of stage, television, and film and quite possibly one of the warmest people I’ve met thus far. Funny and honest to a fault, she reminds me a little of Vanessa Redgrave in her look and manner. Anyway, we’re sitting at dinner talking about art and the Market Theatre (she was a founding company member of the Market Theatre about 30 years ago) when she suddenly looks up, puts her fork down and says, “Are you two married!?!”

I’m not sure what exactly Marcus and I were doing or saying that struck her so profoundly, but we said, “yes.”

“You seem so peaceful,” she said as if to explain her surprise… “You look like you bring each other tremendous peace…”

Picking up her fork, she raised one eyebrow and asked Marcus, “Do you?”

That peace is one of the things I love most about our marriage.

3 comments:

Stefania said...

I just got chills thinking about the peace that you two bring everywhere you go. How intuitive Vanessa is.
It sounds like this continues to be an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing and I continue to wait everday for updates.
Love
Stefania

Stefania said...

I mean Aletta...

Anonymous said...

Dog biscuit :) Definitely you 2 are very special and perfect for each other! -MH